Thursday, July 8, 2010

My favorite place of inspiration is the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cindy from 'I Owe It All To Him' invited us blogger friends to share our favorite inspirational places...
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Wichita is my favorite place of inspiration. It is one of many, I love the oceans, however...the Cathedral is #1! For many years I have been celebrating Mass here in this Church, almost daily. I have been so blessed because the Cathedral has been in walking distance from work places for over 12 years and I haven't take fact for granted. I tell friends, this 'spiritual food' is what I need most on my lunch break'...I think others may feel similar. Sometimes friends asked if they could join me and of course I said yes. Some places just grow on you...some times we grow in places.
I have quite a few of interesting memories of just getting there...little old me....tracking down the sidewalk on the coldest winter days over the many years...the snow sometimes being so deep that cars were barely able to maneuver. There were those cold winter days, the freezing wind would steal my breath and the streets were completely iced over with thick sheets of glass. Wet soggy days when the street was so full of water it looked like a river! Then my favorite days...perfectly cool autumn days then the gentle wind blows the old ash tree yellow leaves all about...spilling them up and down the steps and they look like gold!
I have many great memories of also being in this very special place with my husband renewing our Wedding vows (a special yearly event that our wonderful Bishop officiates), the lovely Christmas eve I met one of my daughters for Mass. Other memories of being there with family and running into old friends or being a guest at a wedding or other special celebration. One of my very favorite times is after daily Mass, if I can stay a little while longer. When the altar candles are extinguished, the main lights turned off and last person has departed...there's one ceiling light that pops on overhead...and the Cathedral becomes so quiet you can hear a pin drop. It's then I have my best friend all to myself...I sit and ponder His love.
Oh yes, you may want to know if there are bells St. Mary's? Yes, and I love hearing them ring to remind me I better hurry, something good is going to happen.
Looking forward to seeing a photo and hearing all about your favorite place of inspiration too.

11 comments:

  1. This is a really lovely post, Patty...I felt peaceful and happy just reading it...thanks so much for sharing! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Patty,
    Thank you!! for stopping by my place to... "SING AND FLY"

    I will be cak to take more in often.
    Blessings
    XX
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful that this place has such good memories and you acknowledge that. Sometimes we go through life and not notice these things. I didn't realize how much my kitchen table meant to me until Cindy asked me to share my Sanctuary space. All the memories a space keeps for you that it becomes a part of you. Stopping by to say hello from I owe it all to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Patty,
    This is so beautiful and I love how you said that some places grow on you and in some places we grow...wow--you are so right and it is so profound...
    This is so wonderful that you are able to go there every day...that is a special blessing in your life...especially because you can commune with the Lord and pray for everyone....
    It is a beautiful altar...and such an amazing picture...Thank you so much for sharing...you have warmed my heart.
    Hugs,
    CIndy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing!
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm visiting from Cindy's I owe it all to Him. I think your church is beautiful, I was recently in Pittsburgh and took pictures of many Catholic churches, the architecture is so beautiful. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also visiting from I Owe it All to Him, Patty. Your inspiration place is so beautiful and is indeed a sanctuary and place of meditation. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks a beautiful Cathedral, Patty - you are fortunate you are so near to it at work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel that way about our church too. You have a blessing being about to go there so frequently! I just shared something that really blesses me on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Patty,
    I had to come back and visit this picture this morning because I truly love it and am so happy you posted it last week...
    it is so beautiful.
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a precious gift our Lord and Savior has given you to enable you to attend Mass each day. I pray one day for that opportunity.

    What a beautiful picture of the tabernacle. A blessing to not only meet a sister in Christ, but a sister of the faith!

    ReplyDelete