Friday, February 14, 2020

Fidget place-mats

Fidget place-mats
What fun I had on some very cold days doing one of my favorite things 'sewing & hand stitching'.

When Myra Jacobs asked me if I'd like to help out on a project for the Persons With Disabilities Ministry, I said yes. It was just my 'cup of tea' so to speak. Myra provided with six place-mats (and some sewing notions) for me to create over. I could hardly wait to purchase the red sequin cloth Valentine pillows. This is the fun-forever fabric because you can move the sequins back and forth showing red one way and gold the other. As you may see, I stuffed some of the little nylon bags with stuffing from the pillow. Nothing wasted, that's for sure.

Fidget place-mats are a tool for friends to hold in their laps (to quiet feelings of fidgeting and/or anxiety).  Each notion is sewed on tightly (not to be removed).
The first thing I did was to google ideas. I put my heart into it.

This mat is one of my favorites. I came up with the idea to have
a tunnel where beads can move in both directions.
Do you see the happy face pupils? They are wooden icon beads from a religious bracelet that
finally came apart. Nothing more fun than finding what I need
from my BIG trinket/bling treasure box. 





There is a finger maze included on a couple of the mats.
Do you see the horse charm (in upper left corner)? 

The horse can follow the maze and find the other horse. I used a discarded bracelet to create the letter e in the word Love.

Above I utilized the soft red velvet heart shape (the outside of the Valentine pillow).
You may have guessed it
red
/gold sequin fabric was on the other side of the pillow.

Another idea that I put together was to hinge the crocheted blocks.
The pretty blocks fold over 'a special message/surprise' and button.
Entertaining!









It was especially fun to add happy words and Scripture references.
These six fidget place-mats were so fun to create. One of my special memories was
when Myra shared that our friends are sure to love them. 
Putting your heart into things matters most!




No comments:

Post a Comment